Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By anst1ssa
  • 1 Post By anst1ssa

Thread: Kaldi WIDE 300g Drum Roaster

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    62

    Kaldi WIDE 300g Drum Roaster

    Hi all,

    I stumbled across this eBay listing and decided to read up on the Kaldi WIDE roaster. According to reviews, it's a really well made korean roaster that rivals the Huky. I looked around further and noticed that they usually retail around the $900-1000 mark so I thought it was worth the risk to buy from this listing below: eBay link removed as per Site Posting Policy

    $270 (with 10% off eBay code)... not sure you can beat that for value so fingers crossed!

    Has anyone else had any experience with Kaldi? They've got quite a range of drum roasters on offer so I thought maybe another CS member might've roasted with one.

    Thoughts?
    Last edited by Javaphile; 10th May 2018 at 04:21 PM. Reason: ebay link(s) removed

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    62
    It's been shipped - arrives Tuesday with DHL Express. I'll post again when it's here with photos and the likes.
    fg1972 and Sir_Stinkalot like this.

  3. #3
    caffeinated lemoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    314
    interesting, let us know how it goes
    IIRC the huky uses a portable stove as a heat source, is this the same?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    62
    Yep that's correct. You can use it over your kitchen stove presuming it's gas - probably how I'll do it.

    As for airflow - out of the box there isn't any options for it but the Kaldi is easily modified and there are threads on various forums detailing how to achieve variable airflow.

    Can't wait! Delivery is now scheduled for Monday. Love how quick DHL is.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Yelta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Moonta SA.
    Posts
    5,914
    Quote Originally Posted by anst1ssa View Post
    Yep that's correct. You can use it over your kitchen stove presuming it's gas - probably how I'll do it.

    As for airflow - out of the box there isn't any options for it but the Kaldi is easily modified and there are threads on various forums detailing how to achieve variable airflow.

    Can't wait! Delivery is now scheduled for Monday. Love how quick DHL is.
    If you use it on your kitchen stove you will need a good exhaust fan, much smoke will be produced, hope you have an tolerant partner/family.

    Smoke.jpg

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Maddington, Perth. Wa
    Posts
    408
    Hope it works out alright

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelta View Post
    If you use it on your kitchen stove you will need a good exhaust fan, much smoke will be produced, hope you have an tolerant partner/family.

    Smoke.jpg
    I'm thinking I'll run some ducting from the roaster to an exhaust fan which will then take smoke outside the kitchen window. Will probably buy a variac or some sort of fan controller to alter the fan speed.

    Luckily my wife is as big a coffee fan as myself :-)
    Yelta likes this.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    62
    Well folks - I suppose it was too good to be true...

    I was sent the wrong roaster - instead I received the hand cranked version of the roaster which was also missing its trier...

    Contacted the ebay seller. Hopefully they can remedy this!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    62
    Not to mention the drum size was 200 grams instead of 300..

  10. #10
    Senior Member noonar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    MortalCoil
    Posts
    315
    I seems that the $900-1000 you mention in the OP is the price for the all singing motorised version. The cheaper price you mention ($270) is for the hand crank version - I suppose you got what you paid for?

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by noonar View Post
    I seems that the $900-1000 you mention in the OP is the price for the all singing motorised version. The cheaper price you mention ($270) is for the hand crank version - I suppose you got what you paid for?
    The item's thumbnail was the "all singing motorised version" and the small description they provided also backed that up. It mentioned the roaster was "motorised" and included all the various components as seen in the image.

    Ended up with the $550 Kaldi kit minus some missing items :/

    See how I go potentially having the item swapped or at worst a full refund

  12. #12
    338
    338 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    437
    Sorry to read it didn't work out as expected

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by anst1ssa View Post
    Well folks - I suppose it was too good to be true...

    I was sent the wrong roaster - instead I received the hand cranked version of the roaster which was also missing its trier...

    Contacted the ebay seller. Hopefully they can remedy this!
    Sorry to hear mate and good luck with the exchange/refund

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    62
    Behmor Coffee Roaster
    If I can't sort out an exchange - I'll potentially wear my losses and mount a motor on it. I can salvage the motor from a small drum roaster I built last year which should run the drum at the correct speed without an issue. Airflow will be straight forward to set up and the bean dump is easy - just tip the roaster forward using the handle and into a cooling tray.

    Only hard part will be mounting a thermocouple - I'll post some pictures of what I received later on so I can gather some suggestions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •