Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: help with roast profiles while I wait...

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    260

    help with roast profiles while I wait...

    Gene Cafe Coffee Roaster $850 - Free Beans Free Freight
    Alright, so I finally gave in and have purchased a Hottop B from pullman for a neat $995 (I think I mustve got it just before they went up).

    So being a newbie to this, its fairly likely that I wont be taking too much control over the roast straight away, maybe try and extend it a little or dump early to try different levels of roast etc, but is there any general guidelines (a quick search didnt find any) on how different profiles will affect the end result? Like a logarithmic shape as opposed to a exponential shape for example.

    Or does this vary on a pure bean by bean basis? The most Ive learnt in reading so far is that a light roast is "brighter" (and acidic?) and a darker roast has more body - I already kinda knew that anyway and it was more just confirmed in my reading.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    260

    Re: help with roast profiles while I wait...

    So does anyone have any advice to give at all? Or at least flame me telling me to use the search function or something? I know a lot of you are fairly experienced roasters...

  3. #3
    sdg
    sdg is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    368

    Re: help with roast profiles while I wait...

    Well Id avoid the exponential -- poor little cinders, what did they do to deserve that? :(

    As for profiles tailored to a specific end result, well Im a total newb there -- Im still working on trying to hit the generic FC in 10-12 mins, SC ~5-6 mins later guideline consistently. Mal posted this handy link on another thread, well worth a read, and heres an interesting HB thread

    However, if youre looking for more of a coffee roasters *recipe* book, well I sure havent found one yet :P


  4. #4
    Senior Member Koffee_Kosmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    5,117

    Re: help with roast profiles while I wait...

    Hey Sammus

    Greg has put some comprehensive videos on how to use all hot top models

    http://www.thingscoffee.com.au/kb.php *(right down the bottom of the page)
    I would see these videos first to get to know your machine

    You could ask Greg for some fool proof roast profiles
    I am sure I read somewhere that Greg gives all the hot top machines a bench test before they are shipped to the new owners (and you get the roasted coffee from your machine)
    So he may have already pre programmed some roast profiles on your machine but you might not know it


    KK

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    260

    Re: help with roast profiles while I wait...

    Yeah I guess I wasnt after specific tips, or a recipe book or anything. But more of a "if you your roast follows a profile a bit like this, then it gives more of this characteristic in the cup". One question that was on my mind Greg did answer in another thread - a faster roast will give a brighter result in the cup than a slower one (pulled at the same point of course).

    Cheers for the info, and those links are great simone thanks.

  6. #6
    sdg
    sdg is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    368

    Re: help with roast profiles while I wait...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sammus link=1216909229/0#4 date=1217211093
    Yeah I guess I wasnt after specific tips, or a recipe book or anything.
    ;D well I am ::) , I went through an entire bag of the Kenya A, and I dont think I was really happy with any of it :(

    Though in my efforts to find info on how to approach the little buggers I did trip over this -- a few more handy though sadly still fairly general hints, though its a bit annoying that they never labelled the time axis on the almost unreadable graphs.

    But I did like the bit about anticipating FC -- I wish!! Something to aim for ;D

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,165

    Re: help with roast profiles while I wait...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sammus link=1216909229/0#4 date=1217211093
    One question that was on my mind Greg did answer in another thread - a faster roast will give a brighter result in the cup than a slower one (pulled at the same point of course).
    Thats probably true in many situations but I wouldnt want that to be taken as an authoritative statement thats a rule for all time.

    As KK said we do do a test roast in each roaster that goes out and you get the roasted sample. We used to save that program in the controller but have since discontinued that on account of the mains voltage variations between Perth (245-250v) and other states (down to 220v in some places), which would result in the roast being too slow if a Perth-based program was used elsewhere. What we do provide is the change points we used so no matter what supply youre on you can emulate the same profile just using slightly different timings / power settings.

    Most roasters seem to use an inverted parabolic profile (as with the example on www.thingscoffee.com.au/kb.php) where the early stages are quite fast and then the rate of increase decreases increasingly (hmm did I say that right?) the closer you get to the end of the roast. But Im sure there are some out there who have tried a linear profile or other things, but unfortunately Im not one of them thus far! The B will let you do whatever you like, heck you could even do a sawtooth if you wanted to; the P pretty well forces you to use roughly an inverted parabola which pretty well correlates with the general wisdom that its the sort of profile that seems to work best.

    Greg

    Greg

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    260

    Re: help with roast profiles while I wait...

    Behmor Coffee Roaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Pullman link=1216909229/0#6 date=1217288247
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammus link=1216909229/0#4 date=1217211093
    One question that was on my mind Greg did answer in another thread - a faster roast will give a brighter result in the cup than a slower one (pulled at the same point of course).
    Thats probably true in many situations but I wouldnt want that to be taken as an authoritative statement thats a rule for all time.

    As KK said we do do a test roast in each roaster that goes out and you get the roasted sample. We used to save that program in the controller but have since discontinued that on account of the mains voltage variations between Perth (245-250v) and other states (down to 220v in some places), which would result in the roast being too slow if a Perth-based program was used elsewhere. What we do provide is the change points we used so no matter what supply youre on you can emulate the same profile just using slightly different timings / power settings.

    Most roasters seem to use an inverted parabolic profile (as with the example on www.thingscoffee.com.au/kb.php) where the early stages are quite fast and then the rate of increase decreases increasingly (hmm did I say that right?) the closer you get to the end of the roast. But Im sure there are some out there who have tried a linear profile or other things, but unfortunately Im not one of them thus far! The B will let you do whatever you like, heck you could even do a sawtooth if you wanted to; the P pretty well forces you to use roughly an inverted parabola which pretty well correlates with the general wisdom that its the sort of profile that seems to work best.

    Greg

    Greg
    Awesome, thats pretty much what I wanted to hear.

    And as aside note, an inverted parabolic shaped thingy that decreases increasingly quickly is what I meant by a logarithmic shape :P a log function never really flattens out though http://www.analyzemath.com/Graphing/log3.gif



Similar Threads

  1. hottop B roast profiles
    By Fulcrum in forum Roasters
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12th April 2015, 03:31 PM
  2. Hottop Roast Profiles
    By Ben@McLaren in forum Home Roasting - Tips, Tricks, Ideas
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 24th December 2011, 06:23 PM
  3. How can we reduce the roast to cup wait?
    By lindsayra in forum Home Roasting - Tips, Tricks, Ideas
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13th May 2009, 12:01 AM
  4. First home roast sampled, long frustrating wait
    By Andy-Gadget in forum Home Roasting - Tips, Tricks, Ideas
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 26th January 2007, 06:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •